Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 12:30:01 GMT by J G
I'm a French national living in the UK and I'm resident here for tax purposes. I'm currently in the process of filling in my tax return (I'm partially self-employed) for the 2023-2024 tax year... and had questions regarding interests I also earned on a French bank account. In December 2023, I received the equivalent of £71 on an account I still have in France (by the way, am I supposed to declare to HMRC this account more officially, in a particular section of the tax return...or this is actually the way of doing it ?) and I just wanted to make sure I was putting that amount in the right section. As these particular interests are not taxed in France and are below the £2,000, threesold, I thought I would enter the amount on the 'interests and dividends from UK banks' section, precisely in the box for 'untaxed foreign interest (up to £2,000)'... am I right ? Or should I fill in the 'foreign interests' box in the 'foreign' section? I don't know whether it makes a difference, actually... Thank you !
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 13:39:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

On the basis of the information provided, you should enter your French bank interest of £71 in the box 'Untaxed foreign interest (up to £2000)'.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.