Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 10:50:58 GMT by
I have a question regarding my self-assessment tax filing. I am employed by a US company where I also serve as a director. The company operates exclusively in the USA, and I received remuneration for my work during the last financial year. I am seeking advice on how to correctly include this income in my self-assessment. Regarding the 'Tailor your return' question: Question: Were you an employee (or director or office holder) or agency worker in the year to 5 April 2023? My Answer: Yes (as a UK resident receiving income from foreign employment) In the 'Income for XXX Inc' section: Question: Employer's PAYE Reference: My Answer: None I am uncertain about the appropriate way to declare the remuneration I received from the US-based company in this section, especially as I don't possess a P45 or P60. It's important to note that there were no US taxes collected, and I did not encounter any double tax issues. Any guidance on how to accurately report this income in my self-assessment would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:03:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

You will declare this as self employed income and convert the income to sterling.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:25:58 GMT by
So that means I need to update my answers in Tailor your return as follows. 1. Were you an employee (or director or office holder) or agency worker in the year to 5 April 2023? : No (although it says were residents in the UK and received an income from any foreign employment). 2. Was your turnover more than £1,000 in total from all self-employments? : Yes (I got more than £1,000 during last 6 April 2022 - 5 April 2023, complete the details).
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 14:24:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi giga,
You are correct.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.