Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 10:35:21 GMT by
Hi all Apologies for this - i have searched the forums and google trying to find a clear answer but not luck so here i am So here is the deal , as a lot of people i need to fill in a self assessment for 2022-2023 however this is where its get a bit tricky. I work for a UK company and my salary is paid into my UK bank account , from July 2022 i officially moved to Germany which means from July onwards i had an NT tax code in the UK but have been paying German tax ( foreign ) . I am trying to fill in my Self Assessment but a bit confused as to what to enter . When it asks for income do i submit the income for the whole year or just for the months that i was a UK tax resident ? I tried to see what would happen with entering the full year and the calculation was that i owed above 30K in tax. This doesnt seem right ? Any suggestions or pointers would be great. PS ( In the new year i will be moving completely to the German arm of the company and therefore be paid in Germany so it should not be an issue in the future) . Also i have no other income in the UK
Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:57:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If your P60 shows the full amount of pay you received for the whole tax year, you would enter this figure in box 1 of SA102,
with any tax deducted in box

2.  You would also need to include SA101 and enter the amount of foreign earnings not taxable in the UK in box 12 of paige A12,
which would be the amound from the date you left the UK. 

The figure in box 12 will be deducted from the figure in box 1 in the self assessment calculation.

See :

Self Assessment: Employment (SA102)   

Self Assessment: additional information (SA101)  .

Thank you .
Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 15:13:37 GMT by
So just to make sure I understand . All my salary payments after I left the UK count as foreign earnings even though they are paid into my UK bank account from a UK company ?
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:11:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Nicholas Giannoulis

That is correct as from the date you left you are no longer UK tax resident. This way, only the income received up until you leave is taxable income on your return.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:52:50 GMT by
amazing thanks so much for your help. Nick
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:42:17 GMT by
Actually sorry this is the last question , I dont seem to be able to do the additional information part when doing the self assessment online - am i missing something or do i need to do this with the "printed" out versions of the docs and send them in via post ? 
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:54:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
For online, you need to tailor your return at section 3 and anser yes to the question 'doyou want to claim other reliefs'.
This then opens other boxes for you then to claim forgein earnings not taxable in the uk for the income that was received after you left.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.