Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 08 Oct 2023 13:42:53 GMT by BOBU L
Hi there, My pension admin informed me the input of the pension saved amount of this year has an exceed 380GBP to the annual allowance (i.e. input as 40,380, exceeded 380 to the 40,000 allowance). The admin also informed me my previous year did not used the full 40,000 allowance, and thus it can be carried forward to this year. May I ask, do I need to file a self assessment in this case to inform HMRC of this 380 excess, and which part should I fill in if I want to use my carry forward of previous year to cover this excess? Thanks a lot for your help . Regards,
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:10:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

You are permitted to carry forward the unused element of your annual allowance from the previous 3 tax year.  
If these unused allowances, when added to your current allowance, cover any pension payments over £40000 threshold, then there is no need to report it in a self assessment tax return or declare it to HMRC.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.