Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:07:11 GMT by
Good evening, Could you please help me to understand better this statement: "You have to make 2 payments on account every year unless: your last Self Assessment tax bill was less than £1,000. you paid more than 80% of the previous year's tax you owed" I'm a sole trader 21/22 I send my tax return but because my turnover was Zero, my tax bill was zero too.,,, 22/23 My tax bill is 1200 to pay by the end of the months plus other 600 as first payment on Account. I don't understand if I have to pay 1200 pounds or 1200 plus 600 I got another question. I already know that my turnover 23/24 is lower. My incomes dropped to 1500 pounds from 5700 of 22/23. Can I claim a reduce payment on Account? Last my question (I'm sorry). 21/22 I didnt have any income but I had some expenses which i didn't declare (Microsoft Licence, Telephone bills, plus rent (I work from home). Can i now declare this expenses into the 22/23 tax return form? Thanks Ottavio
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:20:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
  1. Based on your figures, the payment due on 31 January 2024 is £1800.   
  2. Yes, you can, but you need to put in the fiure you think it will be. This would then change the payment to be made at 1 above.
  3. No, the expenses are for 2021 to 2022 and you would need to amend the return for 2021 to 2022 to show these and then create a loss. This loss can then be used as loss brought forward and used in 2022 to 2023
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:54:53 GMT by
Thanks for your reply About the question number 3 , amend the loss in the return for 2021 to 2022. In which section I should report the loss (I'm on my tax return assesment 21/22 on line)? "Amend Adjustment to tax due"? " Amend overpaid tax?" "Amend any other information" Propably i've already done a mistake, because I have brought the loss forward and used in 2022 to 2023. Anyway to correct my mistake? The loss is about 400 pounds. Thanks
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:23:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ottavio1974,
You now cannot amend the return online as this closed 31/1/24 for the 21/22 return and will need to send an amendment in writing.
Please complete the SA103 self emplyment page to show the expenses that result on the loss for HMRC to process.
This should be sent to HMRC,PAYE & Self Assessment BX9 1AS.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 21:25:11 GMT by
Hi, I’ve completed my 22-23 SA Tax Return which has been received and subsequent toy made a payment via the HMRC App, however the payment after 6 days does not show in my online account. Which continues to show an outstanding payment is due and interest may be charged on late payments. My HMRC app confirms both the outstanding amount and my payment (as it shows payments made in last 14 days). Will this HMRC app payment show up in my online account? Thanks
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:44:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Kenny McCartney

It can take up to 7 working days to process the payment to your Self Assessment account. Once allocated it will show the payment date and interest updated accordingly.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.