Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 09:50:08 GMT by mountainsandhills
Dear HMRC, I am a UK resident. I would like to transfer my savings from abroad to the UK. This includes small income from interest (approx 300 pounds when converted) and dividends (approx 266 pounds when converted). Is this covered by the personal allowance? Or do I need to submit a self-assessment for this? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:42:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi mountainsandhills,

The interest should already have been declared as foreign income and would form part of the personal savings allowance to be added to any UK interest received.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 06:39:38 GMT by mountainsandhills
Hello, Thanks for your reply. Combining the one-off foreign income (which I have transferred to the UK) and any UK interest I am still below my personal savings allowance. I understand I do not need to submit a self-assessment for this? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 08:46:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

On the basis of the information provided, you would not have to submit a Self Assessment tax return. You can see guidance here:                                                 

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.