Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:42:34 GMT by alison jack
I recently filled in my tax return online a week ago .HMRC have informed me that I owe money as I said i had a student loan. I must of accidently put the wrong information on my self assessment as I have never had a student loan. Can anyone advise me on how to amend my original form that I submitted please
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:06:58 GMT by dhj58
You can amend the return within your personal tax account. Click on "Self assessment" then on the page that comes up "More details about your Self Assessment returns and payments". On the next page click on "Amend Self Assessment return for tax year 2023 to 2024"
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:33:54 GMT by alison jack
I have followed your step by step instructions and i still cant find where i went wrong as i answered no to the two questions about student loans and yet it still showing i owe money in the tax calculation summary under self assessment 2. total tax, student loan repayment and class 4 NICs overpaid
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:35:49 GMT by alison jack
sorry is under self assessment 1. Total tax , student loan repayment and class 4 NICs due before any payments on account
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:29:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi alison jack,

You can see guidance here;

If you need to change your return

Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 10:53:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If you contact HMRC we can review the calculation and amend if needed Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.