Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 15:42:02 GMT by Canadian2022
hi there, After 5 years I left the UK in August 2020. I had self-employment income so had been doing self-assessment. I filed for the last tax year I was in the UK and thought I had indicated that I moved and would no longer be filling out self-assessments. - In May 2023 I filled out a form called 'Leaving the UK' - But I have received notice that now I am late filing for the last tax year and on top of that I have a penalty. - I have also filled out a p85 Do I pay the amount HMRC says I owe? (late charge = 1000 pounds) or should I try to dispute it? How do I let HMRC know I no longer live there and will never be filing again? It's very difficult to get through the phone lines for help. I don't know what to do. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 10:25:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Canadian2022,

If you click on 'Ask HMRC online' and request to speak to an adviser you will be put in the queue for Webchat and we will be able to review this for you.
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.