Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:04:44 GMT by Meyrick Irving
I currently earn a side income for doing freelance work for a business based in South Africa. I'm a UK citizen and a UK tax resident working from the UK, I do the work remotely based from my home in the UK. They pay me monthly via my paypal account in GBP and I need to declare this via a self assessment with HMRC. I'm not paying tax on this in South Africa. Should I be declaring this as personal income or foreign income in the self assessment?
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 06:30:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jordan8892
If you contact the Income Tax helpline we will be able to contact our Student Loans Unit who can discuss this with you.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 07:45:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Meyrick Irving,

Please report your South African freelance income in the Self Employed pages (SA103) of your tax return.
You can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief re: any South African tax paid in the Foreign Pages (SA106) under the heading ' Foreign tax paid on employment,
self-employment and other income'. Foreign notes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.