Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 03:23:15 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin, I retired in UK but I still have bank accounts and stock investment accounts in Hong Kong. While I want to check if I need to send a Self Assessment tax return in your website, I have query in Question 6 'Do you need to pay tax on any of the following?' There is a bullet 'Income from outside the UK'. I have bank accounts and stock investment accounts in Hong Kong. The interest and dividend in tax year 2022/2023 are GBP 750 and GBP 500 respectively. Should I choose this bullet? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:41:12 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin, I just found a post in the website which should answer my query. The link is copied in below: https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/sa/d02b7aa1-072a-ed11-b5d0-00155d975a59 It stated that if the combine UK and foreign dividend income is below the threshold, then the foreign dividend aspect would not meet SA criteria. If the combine UK and foreign interest is below the threshold, then SA criteria is not met. All other source of foreign income would meet SA criteria. In view of above, my answer to Question 6. Do you need to pay tax on any of the following?should be "none of these". I have stock investment accounts in UK and foreign, the combine result in UK and foreign stock investment accounts in 2022/2023 tax year was negative. So my answer to Question 7. Do you need to pay any Capital Gain Tax? is "No". Having gone through the checking, I can conclude that I do not need to send a Self Assessment tax return in tax year 2022/2023. Please advise if my understanding is not correct. Thanks
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:35:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ericwlchu,
If resident in the UK,  you need to declare this foreign income:
Tax on foreign income
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:38:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi ericwlchu,

If foreign dividends are covered by the dividend allowance then you will not meet Self Assessment criteria.  
However, if you are in receipt of foreign interest then you fall within criteria and a Return will be required.  
This is regardless of the personal savings allowance.  
Please see Tax on foreign income: Reporting your foreign income - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.