Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 05 Nov 2023 15:18:02 GMT by
Hello, This is the first time we need to submit our tax return. I have several questions about the tax return of Split year treatment as follows: 1. I have already sent the SA1 requesting my UTR and asking to apply for the split year treatment (cannot online submit) on 3 Oct 2023, but I still haven't received any reply or letter from HMRC, Would you please let me know how can I process it? (I was forced to file my tax return late) 2. My Wife have similar case as me but she just received the SA250 from HMRC 3 days before (02 Nov 2023), then she found she can't download and print out the SA100 form. We just checked the way HMRC ask customers to their Self Assessment return is changing from this year – HMRC are asking customers to file their return online and won’t automatically be sending a paper return. But this is not logical for the case of tax return of split year treatment as SA109 cannot be submitted online and can only be submitted by paper format. We have already written our case (split year treatment) when we submit our SA1 but no suitable reply for us. 3. May we know are there any penalty for us as we are forced to file our tax return late? (The deadline for filing most paper returns is 31 October following the end of the tax year) Many thanks for your help.
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 08:06:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi LSB@UKtax,
You will need to contact the self assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310 or the self assessment webchat facility at Self Assessment: general enquiries, to progress chase your UTR number.
As you will need to submit paper tax returns, you will be able to contact the self assessment orderline at Self Assessment: forms ordering as well as download and print off SA109 from Self Assessment tax return forms.  
The submission of paper tax returns will not change, only the way in which they can be ordered.  The due date for paper tax returns was 31 October.  Any tax returns received after that date, may be charged a late filing penalty.  
Penalties can be appealed, by submitting form SA370 (Self Assessment: appeal against penalties for late filing and late payment).  
Appeals will only be considered after the tax return is submitted.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:07:30 GMT by
I have already contacted self assessment helpline and orderline at morning on 6 Nov 2023 for chasing my UTR number and requesting the SA100 form (I am so surprised that orderline told me to download the "SA100 tax return (2023) - for reference only" version on the website). They can't told me why I haven't got my UTR number even I have already opened my tax account, But they replied that they will process it and I will received my UTR number within 2-3 weeks by post. Last but not least, about they penalty, they replied me that there is no penalty if I can submit the tax return within 3-4 weeks after I received my UTR number. I hope all the above information can be recorded. Thank you
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 10:57:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If your Self Assessment tax return is issued late you will have 3 months and a week to file before late filing penalties are charged. If the 3 weeks have passed and you have not yet received your UTR then you will need to contact our Self Assessment team to check on the progress.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.