Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:51:31 GMT by REP
I’m completing my first self-assessment tax return and have a query about whether I need to include information about a pension I receive. I am employed but need to complete a tax return due to the interest I am receiving on savings. I know what information I need to provide in respect to this, that's fine. I also receive a monthly widowers pension from my late wife’s employer (Local Authority). This pension already has tax deducted by the provider through PAYE. There is a section on the tax return for State Pension, but this isn’t a state pension. Do I need to include any information about the pension I receive, and if so where on the form do I include this? I know there is a section on the Gov website about tax on inherited pensions, but it's not clear whether the information about the annual pension I receive needs to be included on a tax return.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:43:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

On the tailor your tax return section online you would answer yes to the question Did you receive any UK pensions, annuities or state benefits, for example, state pension, occupational pension, retirement annuity, Incapacity Benefit?
This will open this part of the form to complete and you can declare the pay and tax details. If the paper tax return page 3 boxes 11 & 12.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.