Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:45:59 GMT by
I'm trying to do my self assessment return online for the first time. I'm self employed and an agent told me to apply for an activation code to self assess. I have received this, but on my personal tax account there is no option anywhere to Activate my code. Please help.
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 08:28:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Nathsroaster,

You would need to contact my colleagues on the online helpdesk for assistance. Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:11:53 GMT by edmund
Dear Sir, May I know how to activate the online file return? I can't find the "activate" option in the self assessment page.
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:22:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi edmund,
If you have registered for Self Assessment and received your UTR then you would need to enrol to activate your Self Assessment online.
You can activate this on your Personal Tax account by selecting the Self Assessment tab and enrolling to file online.
Once done an activation code will be issued to you by post. 
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:58:34 GMT by
Hi there, I am trying to do my self assessment as a self employed for this year! However I can't believe how complicated it is and it's seem easy but questions does not apply to me, yet It doesn't give me options to declare my situation! I am self employed, earn more than £1000 per month, but I work for a subcontractor ltd construction company, In self assessment form it asks me to state how businesses I have which is none! When I click over £1000 income, No partnership either, no option to declare my expenses either, When I click no to all as they don't apply to me the review of the form says, you said you are not self employed did no work in 2022 to 2023! I am so frustrated I read it all over and i cant submit it as is not right! What to do please help ? Regards
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 12:01:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi LND1212,
If you are self employed as a sub contractor, you are running a business as a subcontractor.
When asked how many businesses your have, you would select 1 and give it a name, it can be just your own name. 
This will in turn allow you to enter your turnover (income received) and the tax deducted by the construction industry scheme (CIS).
Please see guidance here: 
What you must do as a Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) subcontractor
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.