Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:24:30 GMT by
For the last two tax years my self-employment income has come entirely from publishing royalties. In the first year it was £14k and in the second year it was £84k. Now I'm completing my tax return, and I've claimed averaging in the box at 'Averaging adjustment (only for farmers, market gardeners and creators of literary or artistic works)'. I entered -£35k (the difference between £84k and the £49k average for the two years) so that £35k will transfer to the first tax year, and I narrowly avoid paying the Higher Rate. So far, so good... However, much later in the tax return, I come to ' Adjustments to tax due - Do you need to make any adjustments to increase or decrease your tax due for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023? This may apply if you are claiming averaging for farmers or creators of literary or artistic work...' Does this mean I need to calculate the effect of averaging here myself, or can I just leave it blank, and it will be calculated automatically?
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:23:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

Please note that completion of the SA110 (ie, the 'record the results of your calculation' section of the return in which the later  'Adjustments to tax due ' question appears) is not mandatory.
We will calculate your 2022/23 tax liability based on the entries made in the relevant sections of your tax return, including the 'Averaging adjustment' entry referred to in your question.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.