Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 23:17:49 GMT by
Hi, My wife is having trouble completing her SA form. She's been registered as self-employed for about 10 years but hasn't previously earned over the Class 2 NI threshold, so didn't need to pay. This year, we believe she is over the threshold and should be paying. However the NI class 2 page on the return is showing NIL due. I had this issue too (being newly self employed) but the link to register as self employed resolved it for me. But when she tries to re-register, it won't open the form. We tried to pay voluntarily, but it rejects that because she's over the payment threshold. She wrote to HMRC in November about it, but we are yet to have a reply. We're now approaching the deadline and it remains unresolved - the last time she logged in. Should she submit the form anyway, even though we're 99% sure has the wrong calculation, possibly with a note that the figures are incorrect/provisional, and expect it to get corrected eventually? Or will that likely result in a fine? Alternatively, is the only option to try to get through to someone on the phone? Many thanks, 

Name removed admin . 
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:26:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi the_engineer,
Without accessing the record etc we can’t give exact info as to why the Class 2 calc may be incorrect, I would suggest trying to call the Self Assessment: general enquiries or if unsuccessful then making a payment including any Class 2 even if not shown on the calculation and we can rectify after the event.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.