Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 29 Aug 2023 06:36:10 GMT by
I am a small UK company, VAT registered in the UK. A company I am working with has asked me for VAT Exc invoicing, as they’re being billed out of their US office rather than their UK office. My sage accounting software doesn’t even let me exclude VAT off my quote (so I’d have to just send a word doc quote) and I’m assuming it’s not possible to not charge UK VAT to them even though they are US based and therefore not UK VAT registered?
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:02:26 GMT by Jay Cooke
Rosina It depends on what it is you are selling to the USA customer. You've not stated what it is you have supplied. It is probably an outside the scope of VAT supply, but I'd use T0 (zero rate) that way Sage will allow you to produce an invoice and also populate the VAT return correctly (Box 6 sales excl. VAT) and Nil in Box 1 (output tax due on sales). If you are supplying land or where performed services, then the VAT could be standard rated and your invoice is correct.
Posted Fri, 01 Sep 2023 14:27:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Rosina Pullan,

Whether you charge VAT is determined by the Place of Supply Rules 
Please see the guidance below:
6. The place of supply rules for services
If your customer has offices in different countries then for Place of Supply purposes it is important to establish which office is most closely connected to the supply you are making to them.
Please see the guidance below:
4. Establishment most closely concerned with the supply"

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.