Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 10:21:38 GMT by
My Government Gateway ID is linked to a dissolved company with old VAT ID and consequently, I am unable to submit VAT for a new number I am unable to access. I have been sent 3 default Noticies for not submitting VAT and HMRC Telephone helpline was unable to help as I do not know the effective date of the VAT registration. What can I do to rectify this situation and avoid the default VAT liability and have my Government ID linked to the correct company?
Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 15:29:23 GMT by Jay Cooke
You need to set up a new government gateway for the new company. https://www.access.service.gov.uk/login/signin/creds scroll down past the green "sign in" button and click the link for "create sign in details" The "old" gateway will still exist for the "old"/dissolved company because of historical record purposes. You cannot add new VAT numbers to that old gateway. HMRC do not give the date of registration out over the phone, you can ask them to issue a copy of the VAT certificate in the post, this will only be sent to the registered address of the new business. You will not be able to create a new gateway unless you know the date of registration, so request a copy, wait for the post and then sign up for a new gateway. Dates of registration are not given out over the phone to prevent fraud, copies of VAT certificate will only be sent to address used for the VAT registration, again, to protect from fraud....what might appear frustrating is there to protect.
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 14:20:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you can access the old account you can remove the old VAT number from that account under add or remove service and you can add your new VAT number or you can set up a new account for the new VAT number.  

Your date of registration will be on your certificate. If you do not have your certificate please ccontact our VAT team and they can oder one for you.

VAT: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.