Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 09:55:30 GMT by
I registered for VAT in June and was issued a VAT number on the 14th of June. The number however comes up as invalid when traders check the number. My industry is subject to the reverse charge and no one wants to supply me as my VAT number appears to be invalid. I have called HMRC on 29/6, 07/08, 22/08 and 4/09. On each occasion, I have been told that the HMRC helpline has sent an email to the person who can sort this out. I have asked repeatedly for the name of the department that person works for but have been told the operator cannot say. I have written to my MP and contacted the press. The Guardian are likely to follow it up. I cant tell you how outraged I feel. When I get it wrong I get fined ... can anyone help?
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 08:47:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi.

I am sorry that this issue is effecting your business.

The invalid VAT numbers on the VAT checker is a known issue and HMRC are currently urgently investigating this problem .

If you have called the Helpline then your VAT number would have been passed on
to the relevant Team to who are working to resolve this issue  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 09:57:12 GMT by
I think that a three-month delay is unacceptable. I have written to my MP asking her to contact HMRC and the minister Victoria Atkins Fincancial Sec to the Treasury. I have also contacted the money pages of various newspapers. I cannot be the only person who cannot effectively trade because of this isse. If anyone reading this post has a similar issue please could I ask you to post your problem in this thread. thanks
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 10:32:35 GMT by Jay Cooke
Hi HMRC Admin This issue has been ongoing for 3 months at least now, it cannot be that difficult for a database to talk to another database. It used to work before you switched platforms, the issue is preventing legitimate taxpayers from trading, if you can escalate this with your outsourced IT folks as a matter of urgency as taxpayers can't trade via online marketplaces without a valid VAT number. HMRC must be missing out on hundreds of thousands of pounds of revenue due to these delays.....one for the Public Accounts Committee perhaps?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2024 08:07:26 GMT by ska_abbas
@jason How was this sorted? How long did you wait before this was sorted? Did you approach any specific team?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.