Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 20:07:36 GMT by
I am looking for some help, I have just received my VAT no and the have given me a registration date of nearly a year ago. Why would this have happened and also will this cause me any issues as I have not charged any VAT to date and I have been trading for nearly the same amount of time. I am positive I put down the date of registration for the same day I applied for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 06:58:21 GMT by Jay Cooke
If you believe HMRC have made an error and HMRC have given you the wrong registration date, then you MUST contact HMRC urgently - by telephone initially and then follow up in writing/email. Only email address I have to hand is vatchangeofcircs@hmrc.gov.uk or try the general VAT helpline. All sales you made from the date of registration will be caught by the VAT rules, so if you make UK sales of goods that are 20% or 5% VAT, then you will have to account for VAT on ALL of those sales from the date on the VAT certificate. In other words, if you thought you were registered from say January 2023 but the VAT certificate says January 2022, then you have to account for VAT on sales from January 2022, whether you intended for that to happen or not. If you have made an error and put the wrong date, again, contact HMRC urgently and you will probably need to write into HMRC and explain how the error happened - see here for more information https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-registration-manual/vatreg25350
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 14:18:39 GMT by
@jason Croke. Thank you for your reply. I have spoken to them on the phone and also sent them a letter to get my registration date changed. As you said I will be liable for all the vat from the date registered and I have not been charging it. Hopefully will get it altered sooner rather than later
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 15:46:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi D11xon,

Please contact our Helpline on 0302003700 so that we can look into your records to see why this has happened.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 20:42:21 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin 20 I will try and call tomorrow, I have already spoke to someone and they didn’t really give me any details, just that I had to send a letter to get it changed.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.