Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:34:52 GMT by Giustina
Hello, I might soon provide coaching services to individuals in the UK. My business is based in NL but we will likely have online sessions. I read on my government website that the service should be taxed in the country of my client. The law of that country applies. So, in which case and how should I file a tax return in the UK? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:17:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Giustina,
If you are providing education to individuals in the UK which constitutes a digital service then there will be an immediate requirement to register for VAT in the UK.
Please see the guidance below:
Place of supply of educational services
Defining digital services.
Please see the link for registering for VAT in the UK:
Register for VAT
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:02:24 GMT by Giustina
Hello, I think there is a misunderstanding. The guidance you shared states that services that involve an actual person in the delivery are not digital services: "Education, training, or a similar service delivered by a person over the internet or an electronic network (such as a webinar), is not considered to be an electronically supplied service because an actual person is involved in the delivery. These services are not within the scope of this guidance". Given that coaching is not a digital service, what should I do in terms of VAT?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 12:59:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

As the service is not a digital service then it will be a supply of education. If the supply of education is being supplied from the EU to indiduals in the UK then no UK taxable supplies are being made in the UK and hence there will be no requirement to register for VAT in the UK.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.