Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:12:17 GMT by
I am self-employed in the Netherlands and have an assignment to a UK consultant (who is not registered for VAT). The assignment is around 8000 pounds. Does the threshold of 85,000 also apply to me? If not, do I directly pay the VAT to you,and how, or should that go through the UK consultant? Another upcoming job will be with a company in the UK, that is VAT registered. Do the same rules apply as above?
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:11:09 GMT by Jay Cooke
The place of supply of services rules are what you need, Brexit has not changed those rules (so the same place of supply rules for services that you use in Netherlands, are the same rules the UK uses). Default position is the place of supply of services (when B2B) is where the customer is based, so your sale would be outside the scope of Netherlands VAT and the customer is to account for VAT under reverse charge in the UK. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as if your services related to land (geological surveys for example) or if you are hosting an event/exhibition in the UK. You don't mention what services you are offering but am assuming they fall under the default rules. The UK customer who is VAT registered would receive your invoice and reverse charge on their UK VAT return, the UK customer who is not VAT registered, your invoice to them would also be reverse charge and count towards their (the UK customers) VAT registration threshold. There is no requirement for you to register for UK VAT unless you are offering land/exhibition related services. HMRC guidance on place of supply of services https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-place-of-supply-of-services-notice-741a
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:54:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi andrea_j,
If you perform this type of work for a UK business then the business customer will account for this under the reverse charge procedure and so there would be no requirement for you to register for VAT.
Please see here:
Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A)
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 10:45:57 GMT by
Hi both, Thank you for your replies. I have a follow-up question: Should the invoice to the non-VAT registered consultant include the VAT amount that he might have to pay if he goes over the threshold, or should we deduct that from the amount we invoice? I think I am misunderstanding the system, but if the UK consultant stays under 85,000 they would receive my VAT amount? That is why I am having a hard time understanding the system.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:17:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi andrea_j,
You would only invoice the net amount for the supply as you are not VAT registered.
As the consultant in the UK is not VAT registered then there would be no VAT to account for.
However the amount would add to his/her taxable turnover.
Please see the guidance below;
Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A) 5. Reverse charge
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.