Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:37:13 GMT by
In query 41563 on the Agent Forum, I explained that I have a company which is due to file an annual VAT return to 30 November by 31 January; HMRC's system says that "no return is required", so it seems to be impossible to file one until HMRC recognise that the company is active and owes both return and money (no POA have been collected all year). The advice was to "ring the advice line", but that would be a huge waste of time when it is not really my problem. So I took the alternative suggestion and sent an e-mail to the VAT general enquiries address provided, hoping that a month and a half would be enough for them to reply. Now it's half a month and I am getting nervous. I am all ready to file the return, but the software won't work if HMRC are not expecting it. What can I do?
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:49:35 GMT by Jay Cooke
When on the government gateway page where it shows "no return required", scroll down and click on the "page not working" link? That link opens a page where you can send a message to IT Technical Team who can deal with glitches and bugs like this and they are generally very helpful and quick. As a side note, HMRC may have frozen the VAT account and when this happens, the ability to file returns is removed (as a security precaution), if the client has moved address or if HMRC letters have been returned in the post by the royal mail, HMRC will flag the VAT number as a missing trader (as in, we don't know where they are), hence freezing the account. If that might be the issue, you need to contact the VAT IT Helpline (rather than the VAT registrations helpline) and the IT helpdesk should be able to reactivate the account (but will probably require the taxpayer to make this call for security purposes). The IT helpdesk is not the same as the IT technical team mentioned in my first paragraph, the IT technical Team deal with glitches, the IT Helpdesk deal with logging onto gateway and unfreezing accounts.
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:06:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Michael,
You are correct in stating that the return you are trying to submit will not be accepted if our system is not expecting the return.
We do need to look at your account urgently so that we can investigate this.It is possible we may need to add the obligation to the system for you to be able to submit the return.
I would recommend speaking to the Helpline as an advisor can investigate this and request the obligation is added if this is indeed the issue.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:27:39 GMT by
Thank you for these responses. I would much prefer to deal with this by e-mail as I really don't have time to hang on the telephone - I feel this is a problem of HMRC's making, and while I will do what I can to comply with all my obligations, HMRC needs to make it practical and efficient. So I will try to ring the helpline, but if the wait is as long as it usually is, I will hang up. So if you are able to offer a different way - for example, an e-mail address where I can send the VAT number so the reason for the suspension can be investigated - that would be helpful. I have two companies at the same address; both on annual accounting, both "forgotten" when it came to the first payment on account of the current period, but one of them was restored in about month 9 and a return has been accepted. I can't see any reason why one would be operative and the other not.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:16:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi.

Please see the options for contacting HMRC:

VAT: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 21:11:02 GMT by
I presume this is the chatbot... as we have already been down this route and it hasn't got me anywhere.
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:18:24 GMT by
This is getting nowhere. I have tried ringing the helpline and the waiting time is unacceptable. Why can this not be resolved by e-mail? I am trying to file a VAT return that I know is due (on Wednesday) but HMRC appear to believe is not. This is not a great advertisement for Making Tax Digital. There is also absolutely no reason for the account to have been frozen - I have not changed my address, and another company registered at the same address has successfully filed a return for the same period. Please come up with a suggestion that does not involve me hanging on the telephone for half an hour.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:58:54 GMT by
Message for Jason Croke - it would be helpful if you could include the numbers to contact the IT Helpdesk so I can try to get them to reactivate the account - the search function on GOV.UK is not revealing it to me. In the meantime, I realise I can and should simply pay the VAT on the due date (tomorrow) and in due course I may get to file a return. I will continue to try.
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 10:27:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Michael Thexton,
I'm sorry this is taking so long to resolve.
The problem is about your annual return and so I would recommend speaking with the Annual Team directly on 0300 322 7873
Alternatively the address for the Annual Accounts Team is:
BT VAT,
HMRC,
BX9 1WR
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 12:18:11 GMT by
I will try one phone call to see if I get through, and then a letter. At least you have the tax. Thanks for the contact details - finding these things on GOV.UK takes longer than it ought to.
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 10:32:45 GMT by
Phone call to Annual Team got through after only a few minutes holding, and they were able to restore the account after a few minutes holding on. All done at last. I will make a note of the Annual Team's phone number - although as this was apparently "a migration issue" it will probably not happen again.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.