Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 23:03:41 GMT by
Hello, I am a sole trader and have recently applied for VAT. I was successfully registered on 1/12/2023. On the letter I received it stated a certificate of registration showing full registration details would be available to view on my business tax account shortly. 2 weeks later it’s not there, and I have no way of viewing my certificate. Question 1: Do I need to manually add VAT to my account in order to view my certificate, access ‘your VAT account’ etc.? Question 2: If yes to the above, when going through the manual add (I.e. typing my VAT number, date of registration, post code..) I then get to: ‘Are you currently submitting VAT returns, yes/no’. I have no idea what to click, as if I go with ‘yes’ it asks me for my last VAT return total, but the whole point is that I haven’t done one yet! From other forum posts, I understand the next step on this chain is asking when my last VAT return ender but, again, I’m still in my first period, so can’t answer that. The whole thing seems completely back to front. Any guidance appreciated.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:01:34 GMT by Jay Cooke
Yes, you need to manually add the VAT service to your government gateway/account. When manually adding the VAT service, the question asking if you have submitted a return or not, your answer is no (because you've not filed a return as yet), there is no further question about your last VAT return, in fact this should be the last question it asks you, so answer "no" and as long as all your other answers are correct (date of registration, postcode of business, etc) then it'll add the VAT service straight away. I agree it's not logical, you applied for VAT via your gateway, during the application it states you'll be automatically enrolled for MTD and then once the VAT number is issued, you have to manually add the VAT service to your gateway.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:52:34 GMT by
Thank you Jason, really appreciate that.
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 15:36:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Jordan Auburn,
Please contact our VAT Helpline so that we can post out your VAT Certificate to you.
We do not provide your VAT number online.
With the information on the Certificate you can set up your Business Tax Account and enrol for VAT which will then enable you to submit returns.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.