Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 06:27:54 GMT by
Hello there Since when I am free from VAT return duty,if I deregister VAT? The actual date HMRC permitted cancellation? or the day I submit form? Thanks
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:17:01 GMT by Jay Cooke
If you are below the deregistration threshold (£83k) then usually it is the date on the form which matters, as you can't backdate on the form, the deregistration date would be from the day you submit the form. You can do this via your government gateway/login and HMRC will usually process the request within 2-3 days, so check back into your government gateway/login every day and check for messages. if sending the form via the post, the deregistration date is still the date you enter onto the form. There is always a risk that HMRC will reject your deregistration request, for example if you have outstanding VAT returns yet to file or have filed returns but not paid what you owe to HMRC.
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 14:22:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi vivacity,
Please refer to notice 700/11 section 3.4 for guidance on deregistration dates
3. You’re registered because you make taxable supplies in the UK
This advises that you should carry on charging and accounting for VAT until HMRC confirms that your registration has been cancelled.
Section 8 also explains what will happen when you apply to cancel a VAT registration
8. What will happen when you apply to cancel your registration
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.