Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 12:40:19 GMT by Catherine Corboy
We are a UK based company and have UK and Republic of Ireland VAT Registrations. The Irish VAT registration enables us to continue to benefit from EU Triangulation rules for our EU sales and purchases. My question is , for sales and purchases made under our Irish VAT registration and reported on our Irish VAT return, whether these items should also be included in Boxes 6 and 7 of our UK VAT return?
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 14:43:27 GMT by Jay Cooke
Whilst waiting for HMRC Admin to reply.... For triangulation, you need three parties (hence the "tri"), all three parties need to be in the EU. So assuming you are looking at say a French customer places an order with you and you order the item from a German supplier and you are using your Irish VAT number to place the order with the German supplier and German supplier ships the goods direct to French customer....then this sale takes place outside of the UK and would not be recorded on the UK VAT return as the sale is nothing to do with the UK (from a VAT perspective, goods are in Germany, going to France via Irish intermediary).
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 15:29:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi.
Can you give me an example of a supply/triangulation supply so I can advise on this
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 15:41:23 GMT by Catherine Corboy
Hi Admin - Jay's example describes the siutation perfectly. The only reason I was asking was that I was on an international VAT training course and they said in this situtation I should include the sales and purchases carried out under Irish VAT reg on the UK return boxes 6 & 7 . Their reason was that Box 6 should agree to turnover per our accounts.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 11:50:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi.

As you are VAT registered in Southern Ireland then any sales or purchases will be recorded on your Irish VAT return.

As these transactions are recorded on your Irish return there is no requirement to also include them on your UK VAT return
as purchases and sales do not occur in the UK.

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.