Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 08:10:34 GMT by Neelam2023
I am completing my VAT return and most transactions are reverse charge, as we purchase services from abroad. I would please like to have some clarity. Box 1 is around 20% less than figures in box 6 - is this due to the reverse charge transactions? We also have normal, non-reverse charge transactions on the VAT return. I know how the reverse charge works, but I just want to get some clarity on how the figures should appear in the boxes. We use an accounting software that calculates everything in the boxes automatically when we enter both expenses and sales, we don't edit the actual boxes ourselves, it's all done by the software. Thanks
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 15:52:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Neelam2023,

If you were dealing purely with reverse charge transactions then you would expect box1 to be exactly a fifth of the figure in box 6.
If all of your other sales figures which appear in box 6 are 20% VAT supplies then overall the box 1 figure should be exactly one fifth of the box 6 figure.
This would only be different if you have 5% or 0% sales for example and then the box 1 figure would not have the same relationship with box 6.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.