Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment or Sole Trader?

I know I can fill out at self assessment with form CWF1, however, would it be better to self assess with sole trader status - would there be any advantages/disadvantages of doing it this way rather than the more straightforward route of CWF1.
  • Self Assessment or Sole Trader?

I have 2 jobs, a full time job working for an employer and a 2nd job working for a charitable organization. In the second job, I work from home with flexible hours and undertake customer account duties for variable hours per month (between 20-80 depending on the work needed). I invoice the charitable organization each month for an agreed hourly rate of pay. I have to file my own taxes for the second job and want to know what the best way to do this is. Would it be better to complete a self assessment or to set up as a sole trader? Do I pay VAT as a sole trader? Given that the organization I work for has charitable status, do I have exemption etc? My annual earnings with both jobs combined would keep me in the normal rate of tax and not high earner. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Best way to file taxes as a 30 hour per month 2nd job

I have 2 jobs. My main job is full time and I get paid though an employer who takes my NI contributions and taxes at source. My 2nd job is part time and I work from home with flexible hours. I carry out paid administrative work for charity and submit invoices each month for hours worked (variable). Should I set myself up as limited company? What is the best way for me to ensure I am paying the correct taxes for the 2nd job please?