Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Is the Mac version of PAYE-tools now a Webapp

I have the same problem (and I have had it for several months now). The macOS Basic PAYE Tools installed app to launches in Safari and functions until I submit anything to HMRC, then it looks for something running on the local machine (IP address 127.0.0.1), can't find it and crashes. I'm using macOS Sonoma 14.6.1 (23G93) and BPT 24.1.24086.542. There doesn't seem to have been a BPT update for months and some early advice to run an older version of macOS is ridiculous. HMRC can't hold back Apple's public roll-out and most people will use the app to infrequently for a rollback. My work around was to install Ubuntu Desktop (a Linux OS) using Virtual Box, then install Basic PAYE Tools on there. It's a bit of a faf to run a virtual machine and worked for a few months, long enough I hoped for an update. Sadly today my VM won't start up so I hoped for something from HMRC would allow me back to the native app but no... So I might be re-installing my work around tonight instead of the 10 minute job of a PAYE filing. Please will someone from HMRC, file a monthly PAYE submission on a Mac running the latest macOS and at least confirm this is logged as a problem and acknowledged to be impacting our submissions. I feel gaslighted by the support pages and I am relieved to find other's here reporting the issue. I'll even work for free helpling to debug and beta test (UK based non-security cleared IT professional).