Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Reporting Tax Exempt Award for Damages on my Tax Return

    In my self assessment tax filing, am I supposed to include damages (and interest thereon) awarded by the courts pursuant to a dispute which qualify for tax exempt treatment (per Extra Statutory Concession, D33) as there was no underlying asset and the value of damages (including interest thereon) is less than the prescribed exemption limit to £500,000 (per the HMRC’s amendment to the D33 in January 2014)? If I am supposed to include it in my tax filing, which section of the tax forms do I use to report the damages (and interest thereon) and tax exemption treatment? Regards