Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How many weeks work for a full class 1 year?

That is really helpful, thank you. it is exactly the extra info I needed. Please would you consider adding your clarifying text from the 26 July reply to that page?
  • RE: How many weeks work for a full class 1 year?

Thank you for your reply, but I'm not sure I can understand it... sorry. The second link goes to a Microsoft login, which I think might be incorrect? Anyway I can't get any info from it. The first link suggests that by employment paying less well than my previous job, I might earn part of a year. Would I then pay a part-year voluntary contribution to top that up? Or does class 4 only come in whole years? Thanks, SL
  • How many weeks work for a full class 1 year?

Hi team, I have about 75% of a full set of class 1 contributions, mostly from full time work and almost all from year-round work. Last tax year was only 3 months employment, and I have been unemployed since, but it appears to register as a full NI class 1 year. I would like to plan another partial year's employment as it suits me now, and one factor is getting a full year's class 1 contribution. How can I calculate how many weeks work are needed, and how does that depend on my earnings? Is there such a thing as a partial year which needs class 3 contributions for a reduced number of weeks? (I'm sorry, I did read the info around https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/national-insurance-classes but it wasn't enough for me to understand this aspect) Thanks, SL