Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Yet to receive NI number

HI, I worked in the UK from 1998 to 2004. Whilst working there I was issued a temporary NI number. I am now living in Ireland and am trying to register my claim for a UK pension. Unfortunately I cannot do this as I was only ever issued a temporary national insurance number. I have been in ongoing contact with HMRC over a year now and have filled out the CA053 form but I have not received any response. I have also made multiple phonecalls to multiple areas within HMRC and nobody seems to know what to do or how to help me. All advice I have gotten has turned out to be incorrect. At this stage I have nowhere else to turn as I keep getting a brick wall. Surely I am not the only person in this situation. I have provided details of all past employers, all past addresses and my temporary national insurance number but every section I get transferred to says they do not know how to help me and I keep getting directed back to various helplines who again have people who cannot help me. This is an urgent matter as there is a deadline in 2025 that I need to have my application approved by and without a national insurance number I cannot even apply. As advised I have been a year trying to resolve this without any success. Please please please can somebody help me! Caroline