Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Non-resident self-employed doing some work in the UK

Hi, I recently moved to Bulgaria, I have a UTR and NIN as well as a British passport. However, my UK employer has asked me to come in and work partly in the UK and partly from abroad. My employer also wants to contract me under Schedule D. My question is, can I be self-employed in the UK if I am only going to work there for about a month in the entire year? My permanent address and the majority of my time will still be in Bulgaria. Many thanks, Mikel
  • RE: Overseas Remote employee for a UK based employer

Hi, Thank you for your prompt reply re: my previous enquiry. I'd like to check with you about something else as well please. I've just been offered a second job by a different UK employer. I'm allowed to work from Bulgaria full time remotely this time. Given that I'll be working entirely from overseas, can I invoice instead of being treated as PAYE as an assistant accountant for a film production company? Many thanks,
  • RE: Overseas Remote employee for a UK based employer

Hi, I'm a Bulgarian resident who has a British passport and have been working remotely for a UK company since July. My employer applied for a S690 Direction as I will be working inside and outside of the UK. I can see the form has now been accepted on my personal online tax account and I'm currently receiving two payslips - one with tax deductions (PAYE only on the percentage of my earnings for my work in the UK) and another payslip has a NT tax code on it. I'm so relieved that this has been sorted and my UK taxes are now correct. However, please could you advise if/when HMRC reports my earnings to the Bulgarian authority or if I need to declare my income myself? Many thanks!