Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RDRM11510 TAXPAYER RESIDENCE: the ties test

Hello, I would like to travel full time for 18 months and was advised by a tech to pass the ties test with a sufficient score to remain a UK tax payer. I'm passing the tests but I need to clarify those points: Can a motorhome satisfy the point about available accommodation for 90 days within a tax year (the accommodation tie) PS: I intend to travel in said motorhome but this would effectively be my home in case of a return. Country tie: how do I prove my stay in the UK is the longest if I don't obtain a stamp at each European border for the countries I intend to travel to? Are campsites booking acceptable as proof? Another question is, do I automatically need to provide proof for each one of the ties test points upon my return or is this just in case HMRC asks? The tec on the phone did mention that I did not need to let HMRC know I was going traveling abroad as long as I passed the test, but I'm not sure what they are for exactly... Thank you!
  • RE: Remote UK employee and right to work travelling abroad

Thank you! Confirming I received my answers after contacting a tech over phone.
  • Remote UK employee and right to work travelling abroad

Hello, I am a EU citizen with a EU passport and indefinite leave to remain in the UK. I am employed full time at a UK company for which I work remotely most of the time. I plan on requesting to work fully remotely and while travelling around Europe for a period of 18 months during which I will not be settling in any one country for longer than 3 weeks. I plan on living in a motorhome full time during those 18 months. I would like to make it as easy as possible for my employer, therefore, could HMRC please clarify how to proceed from a legal perspective: can I remain a lawful UK tax resident and keep paying my national insurance and PAYE tax as normal? Will I need to keep a UK address for tax purposes even if I will be abroad and living in my motorhome? In the case that I must keep a UK address for taxation, does this hold any implications with council tax? Could I use a forwarding address to avoid this scenario? Are there any more legal implications my current employer might need to consider? Thank you