Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:58:32 GMT by Soymoomoo
Hello, I would like to travel full time for 18 months and was advised by a tech to pass the ties test with a sufficient score to remain a UK tax payer. I'm passing the tests but I need to clarify those points: Can a motorhome satisfy the point about available accommodation for 90 days within a tax year (the accommodation tie) PS: I intend to travel in said motorhome but this would effectively be my home in case of a return. Country tie: how do I prove my stay in the UK is the longest if I don't obtain a stamp at each European border for the countries I intend to travel to? Are campsites booking acceptable as proof? Another question is, do I automatically need to provide proof for each one of the ties test points upon my return or is this just in case HMRC asks? The tec on the phone did mention that I did not need to let HMRC know I was going traveling abroad as long as I passed the test, but I'm not sure what they are for exactly... Thank you!
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:16:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

A home can be a building, or part of a building, a vehicle, vessel or structure of any kind which is used as a home by an individual.
It will be somewhere which an individual uses with a sufficient degree of permanence or stability to count as a home.
You should keep a travel journal to support your dates and the campsite details may be asked for as additional evidence.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.