Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: How to pay Class 2 NI contributions as a Examiner/Invigilator

    I'm not yet old enough to receive state pension. I am recieving my teachers pension. I am aware I have gaps in my pension. I am registered for self assessment as advised by NI helpline. This link states that I should be able to pay Class 2 NI contributions due to the type of work I am doing (even though I am employed?) Basically I would like to pay voluntary contributions to fill gaps in my record but pay them at class 2 rates as I am working in the areas stated in the link below.
  • How to pay Class 2 NI contributions as a Examiner/Invigilator

    I am retired on a teachers pension, another 6 years to go until state retirement age. I am a few years short of contributions due to time at uni, time abroad and now not working full time. I do some exam invigilating at a local secondary school on a zero hour contract and some GCSE marking which is obviously just for a short period each year. No NI is taken from my earnings. HMRC state people in this type of work are entitled to pay class 2 contribution even if they are PAYE and 'employed'. I spoke to someone at HMRC who registered me for self assessment and suggested I would be invited to pay class 2 contributions when I did the self assessment. I have completed the self assessment but at no point was there an opportunity to request to pay I think because I am not actually self employed. Has anyone had experience in this type of area. How should I proceed to get these contributions paid and on my record?