Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 07:38:55 GMT by VXman
I am retired on a teachers pension, another 6 years to go until state retirement age. I am a few years short of contributions due to time at uni, time abroad and now not working full time. I do some exam invigilating at a local secondary school on a zero hour contract and some GCSE marking which is obviously just for a short period each year. No NI is taken from my earnings. HMRC state people in this type of work are entitled to pay class 2 contribution even if they are PAYE and 'employed'. I spoke to someone at HMRC who registered me for self assessment and suggested I would be invited to pay class 2 contributions when I did the self assessment. I have completed the self assessment but at no point was there an opportunity to request to pay I think because I am not actually self employed. Has anyone had experience in this type of area. How should I proceed to get these contributions paid and on my record?
Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 06:48:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi VXmanx,

If you are over UK state pension age (SPA) then you will not be liable for National Insurance contributions.
If you are in receipt of your employed company pension and are under the UK SPA then you should be paying voluntary NICs for any years in which you are deficient.
The following link provides information about gaps on your NI record. Check your National Insurance record
However if you believe you should be registered as self-employed please use this link to complete the online registration. Register for Self Assessment
If you have any concerns or are unable to register online you can call the NI helpline on 0300 2003500 Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 07:23:17 GMT by VXman
I'm not yet old enough to receive state pension. I am recieving my teachers pension. I am aware I have gaps in my pension. I am registered for self assessment as advised by NI helpline. This link states that I should be able to pay Class 2 NI contributions due to the type of work I am doing (even though I am employed?) Basically I would like to pay voluntary contributions to fill gaps in my record but pay them at class 2 rates as I am working in the areas stated in the link below.
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:29:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to:

Voluntary National Insurance

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.