Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Change Name

Hi, I am in the same boat, my name in HMRC is in my previous married name, which I haven't used for 22 years. I got married 13 years ago and thought that the name feed would pull through to HMRC. I have changed my name with my employer, DVLA and passport office. Because of this I cannot create a Gov Gateway account because the names don't match, verification does not work so I cannot change my name with HMRC because I need a gateway account, are you seeing the cycle. I have tried everything and am getting nowhere. I have been at this now for 10 hours. I was directed to the Digital Technical Support team who said "If you cannot pass the identity check, you cannot access the online personal tax account but I can use the other services." I am ringing 0300 200 3300 and go through giving them my NI number, date of birth, post code and listening how I could do the name change via the Gov Gateway account. Then they say they have no one available to help and they hang up. I cant write to them I can't email them, I need a Gateway account. Anyone got any suggestions?