Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:16:52 GMT by Hing Yip Lau
My first name has a space in between, and I believed because of that my first name was wrongly recorded in my personal tax account. I have requested for a name change and wait for more than 15 days as stated in the notification email received, but still got no reply from HMRC. I wonder if I will miss the deadline to register for self assessment by 5 Oct because the system keep fail my registration for unmatched information, which I believe is due to my first name enter did not match. I am not sure what should I do, should I keep on waiting the name change reply, or should I submit the self assessment with my name that match existing account but in fact was a wrong name. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:51:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Hing Yip Lau,

You should submit the Self Assessment that matches the account.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 06:28:10 GMT by vivek.Goydani Vivek.Goydani
Hello, I will need help with my surname change. Actually my surname is incorrectly mentioned on the HMRC online portal but I have recently realized that so I have raised the request yesterday to change one letter in my surname which was missing. I have mentioned that as Legal name change since I was not sure what options should I consider. all my documents like passport and BRP have my correct surname from the day I came to UK in 2010 but I have now raised the request to correct that on HMRC portal, is that ok and do you think it will be any problem since I am worried and do you know how long it will take?

[Display name amended - Admin]
Posted Mon, 05 Dec 2022 17:40:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi vivek
You can log in to your Personal Tax Account (if you have one) & correct your name that is showing on the portal.
To do this,you can follow these steps:
To change the name displayed on your account you will need to log in to your government gateway account using your User ID and Password,you will need to enter the access code if required.
select 'Manage account' at the top of the screen
select 'View or change your business tax account details'
select 'Manage your Government Gateway details' on the bottom right of the screen
select 'Change'
select 'Continue'
enter new name and select 'Continue'.
If  your name is incorrectly held on the HMRC systems at the Tax Office etc then I suggest you look at your personal details held within your Personal Tax Account.
If you can’t make the correction then you can contact the Tax Office & ask them to make the correction on 0300 200 3300.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.