Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Assigning interest payment to correct FY

Thanks. If an individual is unable to withdraw or have access to the interest when it is credited to their account, or has a specific product such as a bond, the interest will not arise and therefore they will not be taxable until they have access to the interest This paragraph seems to confirm my understanding that the interest only became taxable when I gained access to it, which means that my HMRC annual tax summary for 2022/23 is incorrect. How do I get this changed?
  • Assigning interest payment to correct FY

Hello. I'm trying to establish whether I will fall into the high earner child benefit charge for the current FY and it hinges on the interest I've earned on savings for the past 12 months. I had a 1 year fixed savings account that I opened in 2022/23 and matured during 2023/24. It paid interest monthly - interest which showed in my account at the end of each month but was only fully accessible during 2023/24. My understanding was that all this interest would count towards this year but after reviewing my annual tax summary and speaking to an HMRC advisor, it seems that the interest paid in 2022/23 has been applied to that year and the remaining interest to this year. Does that sound correct? Thanks