Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Girlfriend living in her boyfriend's house

Dear Sir/Madam I would like to clarify the following matter, thanks. As the partner living in my boyfriend's house, there are a few key considerations I should take into account: Rent Payment: Since my boyfriend is the sole owner of the house, I do not believe I am required to pay rent to him. As his partner, I would be residing in the property as part of our cohabitation arrangement, rather than as a tenant. Given that the house is considered his personal property, I do not think I have an obligation to pay rent in this situation. Tenancy Agreement: If I were required to pay rent to my boyfriend, it may be advisable to have an excluded tenancy (lodger) agreement in place. This type of agreement outlines the rights and responsibilities of the owner (my boyfriend) and the lodger (myself). However, since I do not believe rent payment is necessary in our case, a formal tenancy agreement is likely not mandatory. Self-Assessment Tax Return: As the sole owner of the property, my boyfriend may need to complete a self-assessment tax return, particularly if he derives rental income from the house. However, since I am not paying rent, this should not directly impact my own tax obligations. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks