Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Overseas Trust - do I need to file?

Thank you for letting me know! Is my first step then to notify the HMRC via letter that I need to file a return? What is the number/name of the form for the paper return? I really appreciate your advice thank you

Hi, I received a message on my HMRC account with the line "If you believe you have a good reason for not sending your tax return on time, you can appeal against this penalty. You need to appeal within 30 days of the date of this message." I clicked on the link included with the 'appeal' section and filled in that form. Subsequently, the tax years 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 appear on my HMRC account appears with the following detail: Tax year ending 05 Apr 2022. Issued on: 28 Sep 2023 File on paper by: 06 Mar 2024 File online by: 06 Mar 2024 Submitted on: Received on: 05 Mar 2024 Help about: Received on - opens in a new window However I didn't file for these - I think I have mistakenly said I do not need to pay tax for these years? How do I amend and file those returns? Do I need to send the HMRC a letter? Thank you.

Hi, Thank you for that! I appealed a late penalty and so no longer have access to complete those returns - I'm still waiting on a reply on the appeal, I assume they will reject it and then I will have access to the returns again? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you, I have a follow up question. To clarify, the trust passed into my “ownership” in august of 2023, so I think that falls into the 2022-2023 tax year. Prior to this, the tax was managed by my aunt, though a handful of payments were made from her to me in that time (2020-2021 and 2021-2022 tax year). Do I still need to fill out self assessment for these years? And if not, how do I “take myself out” of self assessment?

Hello, I still haven’t had a reply to this - please could I have an update?
  • Overseas Trust - do I need to file?

Hello, For the years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022, I had an overseas trust left to me by my mother, in a diversified interest account. This trust was not accessible by me until I turned 26 in 2022, had a separate tax file number, and was administered by my aunt. Do I need to submit a self assessment form for the trust for these years? My Australian accountant does not seem to think so. However I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thank you very much in advance!
  • Foreign Tax Credit Relief

Hello, I am inputting foreign income details from Australia in my self assessment. When I put in the "Foreign tax taken off or paid: (optional)", my taxable amount goes down. (e.g. 1000gbp to 800gbp). My question is this: I have paid foreign tax on my income. i wish to claim foreign tax credit relief. I am a UK resident, the income arose in Australia. So for example, I earned 1144 gbp of interest, paid 200 gbp tax, and claimed 10% relief given the Digest of Double Taxation Treaties. Can I confirm that this is the right way to input it? Additionally I often see mentions of form SA106. Do I need to fill this in in addition to completing my self assessment return pages? Thank you.
  • RE: Foreign income - inputting details and working out months

As posted above, my Australian tax return says: 1) Interest and interest not subject to non-resident withholding tax, 2) Dividends unfranked, 3) Dividends -conduit foreign income, 4) Other income, 5) Non-primary production income, 6) Dividends franked, 7) Dividends distributions from trusts. However I’m not sure what this “translates” to on the UK form and don’t want to get it wrong. Are you able to advise on this?
  • RE: Foreign income - inputting details and working out months

Thank you! And what 'types of income or gains' should I select on the form? e.g. dividends, 'other income' etc.
  • Foreign income - inputting details and working out months

I have a foreign investment fund in Australia and am a tax resident in both the UK and Australia. I am completing the Self Assessment in the UK and am unsure how to report this foreign income in Section 4 (Foreign income details). According to my investment fund tax statement, for the months July 2022-June 2023 my Australian income consisted of: 1) Interest and interest not subject to non-resident withholding tax, 2) Dividends unfranked, 3) Dividends -conduit foreign income, 4) Other income, 5) Non-primary production income, 6) Dividends franked, 7) Dividends distributions from trusts. For the months July 2021-June 2022 my Australian income consisted of: 1) Interest and interest not subject to non-resident, 2) Dividends unfranked, 3) Dividends -conduit foreign income, 4) Other income, 5) Non-primary production income, 6) Dividends franked, 7) Franked distributions from trusts. 8) Capital gains 9) Discounted capital gains (TAP) and (NTAP) and (other), 10) Foreign income I have two questions: 1) Which 'types of income or gains' do I select on my self assessment form? 2) The months for the Australian investment account statement don't line up with the UK tax year. For the year July 2022-June 2023, how do I work out this monthly so I am not reporting the months may& june, as the UK tax year only goes to april? Hopefully that makes sense. Thank you very much!