Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:53:49 GMT by Emma Hollis
Hello, I am inputting foreign income details from Australia in my self assessment. When I put in the "Foreign tax taken off or paid: (optional)", my taxable amount goes down. (e.g. 1000gbp to 800gbp). My question is this: I have paid foreign tax on my income. i wish to claim foreign tax credit relief. I am a UK resident, the income arose in Australia. So for example, I earned 1144 gbp of interest, paid 200 gbp tax, and claimed 10% relief given the Digest of Double Taxation Treaties. Can I confirm that this is the right way to input it? Additionally I often see mentions of form SA106. Do I need to fill this in in addition to completing my self assessment return pages? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 10:23:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

As completing online, you dont need the SA106 as this is the paper equivelant.  
By entering the foreign tax paid at that section, this already reduces the taxable income and as such has given you the foreign tax credit relief and you should not claim it again.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.