Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Certificate of Residence when foreign income comes originates from stock exchange

Hi, I am UK tax resident but of Spanish nationality, and I kept a stock exchange account open for many years. Until recently, I just collected dividends from some initial investments and reported them via self-assessment if above the allowance. Recently I became more active and performed several sales, and so my broker has asked me for additional documentation, including the Certificate of Residence. In the online form, there is only the option to provide details for up to 5 sales and up to 5 sources of dividends, so I ended up summing them up (the gross dividend) and using a single entry for sales, and a separate one for dividends. Is that correct? or is there a different way of entering this information? I don't recall which are the limitations of the self-assessment, as I never had to fill that part (capital gain tax) before, but I think there it is possible to add additional pages. Regards.34
  • Renovation expenses for a rented property (as a landlord)

I recently bought a house in Spain, jointly with a family member, and we just started renting it. It is the first time I do this. As UK tax resident I understand I will need to declare that income (50% of it, as that's the part I owned) in the self-assessment. I was wondering if expenses related to renovation can be deducted from the resulting profit when filling in the self-assessment or if there is other (or no) way of accounting for that. I was unable to find clear information about it.