Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: What to do when tax relief on SIPP contribution arrives in following tax year?

Philip, did you reach a conclsion on this? Similarly seeing different advice in different places
  • Timing of Employer Pension Contributions & Relief Added to SIPP on Annual Allowance

I'm seeking to use of annual pension allowances and carry forward rules to maximise my pension contributions before the end of the current tax year. However, when looking back over the last 3 years contributions, there are some data points I need to clarify which will impact the relief I can claim. Relief of Personal Contribution - Timing One-off contribution to SIPP paid on 02 Feb '23. The relief from HMRC was not credited to my SIPP provider until 22 April '23, i.e.the following tax year. In terms of annual allowance, should the relief amount be counted towards the 23/24 year or the 22/23 year where I made the original contribution? Employer Contribution Timing When I look at the specific detail on my workplace pension, there seems to be quite a misalignment between when I was (naively?) expecting my employer contributions to credit Vs when they were credited. When I logon to the providers platform, it shows contributions being 'due' 1st April but not being 'paid' until May. Does that mean I need to use the May date for these when considering my allowance? Thought I had this year under control until these scenarios popped up!
  • Self assessment calculation doesn't seem correct

I've completed my self assessment calculation for 22/23 however I feel the tax amount is incorrect. Self assessment website says I'm due £8K back, however my calculations and those of third party sites listentotaxman and uktaxcalculators all calculate it to be around 12k. There's nothing due from period years. I had made additional contributions towards my pension in March using the carry forward rules to bring me under the the 100K personal allowance tapering, I'm anticipating the mid-March is related to this somehow, What's the best course of action? Submit the assessment, perhaps leave a comment on it hoping someone will look at it, and then call self assessment helpline next week?
  • RE: Clarity on Pension Contributions when Completing Self Assessment

Thank you, most appreciated.
  • RE: Clarity on Pension Contributions when Completing Self Assessment

Thanks. My workplace pension is relief at source. Option #2 seems to me to be the right answer but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Clarity on Pension Contributions when Completing Self Assessment

I'm at my annual confused stage when it comes to self assessment and pension contributions. Background: Higher rate tax payer, employed, employer has a standard workplace pension with no salary sacrafice. Like many, there are three sources of contributions to my pensions. Below are some annual numbers for illustrative purposes. A. Workplace 3% (employers contribution) £1,984.50 B. Workplace 5% (my contribution) £2,471.26 C. Regular contributions to private pension £28,010.00 When completing my self assessment, I'm looking to confirm what numbers need to be included in the below section as it makes my head spin every year.... Payments to registered pension schemes (Also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called Relief at source). Enter the payments and basic rate tax: Is the correct answer: #1. C * 1.25? e.g. £28,010.00 * 1.25 = £35,012.50 #2. C+B * 1.25? e.g. £30,481.26 * 1.25 = £38,101.57 #3. Something else