Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: What to do when tax relief on SIPP contribution arrives in following tax year?

Philip, did you reach a conclsion on this? Similarly seeing different advice in different places
  • Timing of Employer Pension Contributions & Relief Added to SIPP on Annual Allowance

I'm seeking to use of annual pension allowances and carry forward rules to maximise my pension contributions before the end of the current tax year. However, when looking back over the last 3 years contributions, there are some data points I need to clarify which will impact the relief I can claim. Relief of Personal Contribution - Timing One-off contribution to SIPP paid on 02 Feb '23. The relief from HMRC was not credited to my SIPP provider until 22 April '23, i.e.the following tax year. In terms of annual allowance, should the relief amount be counted towards the 23/24 year or the 22/23 year where I made the original contribution? Employer Contribution Timing When I look at the specific detail on my workplace pension, there seems to be quite a misalignment between when I was (naively?) expecting my employer contributions to credit Vs when they were credited. When I logon to the providers platform, it shows contributions being 'due' 1st April but not being 'paid' until May. Does that mean I need to use the May date for these when considering my allowance? Thought I had this year under control until these scenarios popped up!