Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • BTL Mortgage product fee

    Hoping someone can give a bit of guidance! I've read lots of different places and the answers conflict a little sometimes. I am classed as an "accidental landlord" so doing my first tax returns. I had to sort out a BTL mortgage when the old rate finished (was on a permission to let when residential) which incurred a product fee. I know I can claim costs of getting finance on a BTL mortgage but does this extend to product fees? Additionally, there was some repair work of a regular handyman I used who doesn't really do invoices, he just texts me the cost of parts and labour and I send the money across. Are the messages/bank statements sufficient evidence for this expense?
  • Personal Tax Allowance and Student Loan

    So I've been trying to sort out my self assessments as it's the first year I've needed to do this so quite a learning curve! My tax code is 1263L as I get some extra allowance through work. However, I'm not sure where I need to put this into my returns online as I couldn't spot anything obvious. Additionally, with my income I have my basic pay, bonus pay, taxable benefits and then some shares which are purchase before taxed. So my P60 from my employer shows basic pay + bonus pay + taxable benefits - shares. However, I've spoken to HR and they have said that my student loan calculation is assessed on basic + bonus - shares and completely ignores the taxable benefits. I'm not sure on how to evidence this, or if payslips should just do? Additionally, I don't know how to get my self-assessments to reflect this as it's showing that I've not paid enough student loan just on my employed income. Can anyone offer guidance on the above?