Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Tax code adjustments in self-assessment

Thank you for your answer! So is it true that all three following sections in the "Underpaid tax and other debts" module apply only for underpayments for an earlier tax year (not 2022-2023)? - "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 1 of 2)" - "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)" - "Other debts" Initially I was asking about "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)"
  • RE: Tax code adjustments in self-assessment

Hi, I don't have any underpayments from previous tax years. The section "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" was in an in-year tax code adjustment letter from HMRC with tax code K. (Because tax code K reduces tax-free amount) I am unsure whether "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" value from the tax code adjustment letter is different from thing that is asked in the form: "our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx". The wording looks different, but pretty similar.
  • RE: Tax on the Energy Bill Support Scheme

Thank you for your answer! Is it true that the Energy Bill Support Scheme is also not applicable to the following section in the self-assessment? "Did you receive any UK pensions, annuities, or state benefits, for example, state pension, occupational pension, retirement annuity, Incapacity Benefit?" And it would be correct to answer "No" if I didn't receive payments from the UK government except the Energy Bill Support Scheme?
  • Tax code adjustments in self-assessment

Hi, The self-assessment online form has a section "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)". There is an explanation on this page "Look at your 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 PAYE Coding Notice (P2). If it includes the message 'our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx' then put this amount in the box above." I received a tax code notice mail in October 2022 with the following sections: - "This totals your tax-free amount" and a negative number next to it £-xxxx - "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" and a positive number next to it £xxx I wanted to confirm - is it true that the "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" value is different from "our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx". And I need to enter zero in the form if I don't have "our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx" section in the tax code notice? Thanks
  • Rounding of income values to integer numbers

Hi, I'm trying to fill out my self-assessment online form, and I have issues with rounding. I enter a value with two decimal places in "Pay from - total from your P45 or P60. Enter the amount before tax taken off:". However, as soon as I start entering other values, the form automatically replaces the decimal part of the income number with ".00" and rounds income down to an integer value with zeros after the decimal point. The same thing happens with "Untaxed UK interest". In contrast, the value in the "UK tax taken off" field is not being rounded. Can you please help - is this an expected behavior or a bug in the online form? Should I round employment income and bank account interest in any way? Thanks
  • RE: Tax on a payout from a health insurance company

Thank you for your answer! So in the case of health insurance, I need to pay tax only on the cost of health insurance because it was bought by the employer. But I don't need to pay tax on payments for medical treatments that I received from the insurance company?
  • Tax on the Energy Bill Support Scheme

Hi, Do I need to pay tax on £400 energy discount from EDF for winter 2022 to 2023 that all households received as the Energy Bill Support Scheme? https://www.gov.uk/get-help-energy-bills/getting-discount-energy-bill Also, I'm not sure whether answer depends on the fact that I'm UK resident on a Skilled worker visa, but not a UK citizen. Do I need to include these £400 in my self-assessment or not? Thanks
  • Tax on a payout from a health insurance company

Hi, Do I need to pay tax on a payment from a health insurance company? My employer offers a Bupa dental insurance for employees. This employment benefit works following way: I paid for my dental treatment, then claimed this payment on Bupa insurance company online portal, and then received payment from insurance company for exactly same amount in my bank account. I don't know whether I should include this claim payout from dental insurance company in my self-assessment and pay tax on it. Can you please help? Thanks