Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 03 Dec 2023 17:27:46 GMT by faizovboris
Hi, The self-assessment online form has a section "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)". There is an explanation on this page "Look at your 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 PAYE Coding Notice (P2). If it includes the message 'our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx' then put this amount in the box above." I received a tax code notice mail in October 2022 with the following sections: - "This totals your tax-free amount" and a negative number next to it £-xxxx - "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" and a positive number next to it £xxx I wanted to confirm - is it true that the "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" value is different from "our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx". And I need to enter zero in the form if I don't have "our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx" section in the tax code notice? Thanks
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:54:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you have an underpayment from an earlier tax year included in your 2022 to 2023 tax code then this would need to be entered in the Self Assessment. If you are unsure if this is the case then you would need to contact our Self Assessment team to check the code.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 08:35:52 GMT by faizovboris
Hi, I don't have any underpayments from previous tax years. The section "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" was in an in-year tax code adjustment letter from HMRC with tax code K. (Because tax code K reduces tax-free amount) I am unsure whether "Estimated tax you owe (this year)" value from the tax code adjustment letter is different from thing that is asked in the form: "our estimate of the underpayment for the earlier part of the year is £xxxxx". The wording looks different, but pretty similar.
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:47:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If the estimate is an in year adjustment then it would be nil at that section as not an estimate from an earlier tax year. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 00:29:11 GMT by faizovboris
Thank you for your answer! So is it true that all three following sections in the "Underpaid tax and other debts" module apply only for underpayments for an earlier tax year (not 2022-2023)? - "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 1 of 2)" - "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)" - "Other debts" Initially I was asking about "Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)"
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:22:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

No, 'Page 2 of 2' refers to an underpayment of tax that has been calculated in-year in 22/23, that had been scheduled to be coded out in 23/24. If this amount is indeed present in your 23/24 code and is being repaid this way, include the amount on 'Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)' of your 22/23 return

This will ensure you are not taxed twice for this amount.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.