Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Refund of Swiss dividend tax withholding

Can I get some insight on the timing of these steps please, is this broadly accurate? Example: If I expect to receive some dividends from Swiss company in May 2024 (i.e. just after tax year 23/24 closes) 1. Download/file the associated documentation showing details of those dividends - May 2024 2. File self-assessment for tax year to 5th April 2025. Specify the amount of foreign dividend income - by 5th April 2025 3. < leave a grace period - say 1 month > 4. Fill out the Swiss Federal Tax Administration's Form 86 and send a copy of HMRC to ask them to stamp it - May 2025 (presumably HMRC wouldn't stamp it until they've received by self-assessment for tax year to 5th April 2025 & verified that I declared the dividends) 5, Then wait for this to work through the HMRC backlog (5-6 months based on estimate above). By roughly Nov 2025 I'd have received the stamped forms from HMRC. Send a physical copy of this to the Swiss FTA - Nov 2025 6. Assuming a lag time of around 6 months. Receive payment of witholding tax refund - roughly April 2026 So you're looking at close to a 2 year turnaround from - Receiving the foreign dividends (taxed) - Receiving the refund Is this broadly accurate?