Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 16:11:35 GMT by R F
I have received dividend payments from Swiss shares held in an ISA (I am UK resident). Swiss authorities have withheld dividend taxes on these, but I have seen online I could claim a refund by submitting a Form 86. Am I allowed to request such a refund even if the shares are held in an ISA and thus no UK taxies are paid on the dividends?
Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:26:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Yes. This is special witholding tax that can be refunded by the UK rather than normal witholding tax that you can only claim as Foreign Tax Credit Relief. If you are submitting the form 86, the Swiss authorities will refund this and it should not be claimed from the UK.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 07 Oct 2023 06:34:59 GMT by
Hello, Please can you clarify this response, the form suggests we need to send to UK tax authority but does not list an address. I sent the first copies to PAYE tax department and having chased they say they have not got them. In the reply above it seems contradictory: "can be refunded by the UK" "should not be claimed from the UK" Help appreciated! Thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:29:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Luke Johnson,

You would normmally send the forms to HMRC to be stamped as confirmation the income had been declared here.
These would be returned to you to give to the Swiss authorities in order to claim a refund.
Our address is
HMRC,
PAYE & Self Assessment
BX9 1AS.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:58:30 GMT by
Thank you For anyone reading this post with similar query please note: Add your NI number and UTR to your forms for HMRC to be able to identify them, my first submission got lost with no way to find them without these references. You need the dividend vouchers or equivalent to send to Swiss authorities, get copies in case these get lost. Leave good time for claim as it can take a while
Posted Sun, 29 Oct 2023 11:10:10 GMT by
Hi there, my form 86 was received by HMRC on 17 October, please can I check how long it is expected to take to send me back the stamped forms? I need to send this to the Swiss authorities before 31 December 2023. Many thanks
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 15:26:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Due to backlogs, you are looking at 24/03/24 for a reply  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.