Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: UTR number application

I have tried. The webchat is an AI chatbot which just couldn't understand what I am asking and the helpline just can never get through. I need an email address which I can contact with.
  • RE: Cannot register for Self Assessment

Hi, But I have never filed a Self Assessment before and need to get a UTR first. Can I file the Self Assessment without the UTR? In my opinion, with only the national insurance number should be more than enough. I have already tried six times and every time it's either I received no response or I received an email says 'the address doesn't match the record'; the address I used is exactly the same one as the one in the HMRC app so there is absolutely no mistake with the address I entered. All it seems to me is a 'no UTR no Self Assessment, you delay and we fine' game
  • UTR number application

Hi HMRC, I have submitted my application 6 times since 25th July and every time the application was rejected by the reason that the address provided does not match your records, but the address provided is the same as what's on the HMRC app. Can you please tell me who is responsible for approving the application and assign UTR? I won't be able to file the self-assessment without it and I will miss the deadline
  • Cannot register for Self Assessment

Hi HMRC, I have tried to register for self-assessment for one month, but every time I have been rejected with the reason 'the address provided does not match our records'. I have checked and made sure that the address is consistent with the one in my Personal Tax account, but the application was still rejected with the same reason. Can you please fix this bug as soon as possible? As I need to get my Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) for doing my Self Assessment, and I am currently living abroad so cannot file the Self Assessment online according to the requirement on your webpage https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return, so the deadline for me is really close!! I don't want to receive any penalty just because of your technical issue!! Kind regards, 

Name removed admin .
  • Tax on UK income when live abroad

Hi HMRC, I’m living in Germany right now but I still have dividend from my UK shares in both my ISA and non-ISA account. I am filling the Form R43 right now and I don’t know if I need to include the amount of dividend received in the ISA account in it. There is neither explanation on the following webpage https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/personal-allowance nor in the form itself. Could you please help? Thanks, Philippa